Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When in Wildwood, do as the Wild would

Before we left for North Wildwood, I started setting up a quilt. I waited until I left Utah to start it! hahaha My mom and my gram can help me here. Liz wanted to help--check her out in the top left corner:

We bought Liz a tent from IKEA for the beach because the umbrella thing was not working. We set it up in her room to test it out!


Lockheed sent Chris to work in Valley Forge yesterday so we decided to spend the entire weekend in New Jersey! It took us long enough to get there--traffic on I-95 was HORRIBLE--it took us over five hours to make a trip that usually takes three and a half hours. By the time we sped into Cape May County, it was just about time for us to go see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!
I enjoyed the movie itself very much but I was a bit disappointed in its failure of following the book. I understand the need for dramatic license but as an avid reader of the series, I'd like it to keep to the book. I would lean over to Chris during parts of the movie and tell him that's not really how it happened haha. All in all, it was a great night with the kids and I'm glad we were able to make it!

On Saturday we ran all over the island running errands and enjoying the beautiful day. Kate worked at the Candy store that morning so we headed over to visit. In addition to selling candy, Samuel's Fudge and Candy Cottage sells BEAUTIFUL trinkets: tea sets, valences, flowers, etc. They were trying to get rid of some last season gifts so naturally I went nuts. I bought some really cute potted plants for the house and we bought an adorable sign for my parents' house which says "Blessings be upon thee." Later that afternoon, after stops at Walmart and TJ Maxx, we headed over to Chaz Flud's graduation party in North Cape May.
Chaz and I have been friends since the beginning of time (at least it feels that way)! But really, we've been friends since kindergarten and we've managed to keep in touch after grade school and high school (thank you, facebook!) and it was wonderful to see some more familiar faces from the early years, like Kyle and Dave MacDonald. Margaret Mace reunion right there! Chaz will be continuing his studies at West Chester University and we wish him the best of luck, especially with wedding plans! He proposed to his girlfriend Katie just last week!

My dad's High Council speaking assignment was in Cape May on Sunday so we were all able to be at church together. Many times my dad always cracks a few introductory jokes that we kids always know will come, but this time he invited his daughters to the podium to sing the Twelve Disciples song he learned as a child and consequently taught us when we were young. Apparently he did that to Joe a few months ago during his speaking assignment in Moorestown, so Joe was off the hook this particular Sunday! My dad's talk was wonderful, as always.
We bought a hair cutting kit last week and we decided to test it out in NJ and it turned out really well! Chris hadn't gotten his hair cut since we left Utah so it was much needed, especially during the hot sticky months of summer! Julie was kind enough to feed Lizzie her dinner while I worked on my subject.

Here's a before--

and an after!


As I mentioned earlier, Lockheed wanted Chris in Valley Forge for work so Liz and I hopped along for the ride: the King of Prussia mall is right across the street from Lockheed Martin! Can't get much better than that folks! Liz and I had a glorious day of shopping. We walked the entire mall, all four levels, but we hit the stores that I knew we'd actually buy something. I mean, Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Hermes, etc. are great I'm sure, but there's virtually no way I'd ever step in them unless they were having a 99% off sale haha. Chris earned himself a new pair of Reefs, I earned myself some Vera Bradley (LOVE!), and Liz earned herself outfits from Baby Gap, Old Navy, and Gymboree. We're good!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

You did a great job with the haircut! Good job!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Sorry about the traffic though- that stinks! So I am finally reading the Harry Potter books! I'm currently in the middle of book 5. I love them and can't believe it took me this long to try them out! We need to get together soon!

Francesca said...

My sentiments exactly about Harry Potter. I whispered to Justin too during the movie!

Great job on the haircut. We need to get one of those kits for Justin. A friend cut his hair a month ago, but Justin needs another one already. I'm a bit scared to do it because I've never done it before!