Wednesday, May 27, 2009

B-E-A-C-H, not the S-H-O-R-E

I am from North Wildwood, NJ and I call the Atlantic Ocean "the beach." The tourists typically say, when they are going to the beach, that they are going "down to the shore." So, for future references, you can tell the locals and the "shoobies" apart! The word "shoobie" has its roots in southern New Jersey. "Shoobies" gets their name from the Philadelphians who would go "down to the shore" by train for the day, with their belongings in a shoebox. Just some NJ knowledge for you!

We spent Memorial Day weekend up in North Wildwood with my family. Lockheed sent Chris to do some training in Cherry Hill, NJ on Thursday and in Valley Forge, PA on Friday, so we went to North Wildwood early and it was worth it! I took Liz to Margaret Mace (my old grade school, where Joe and Julia attend) and to Wildwood Catholic (my old high school, where Kate attends) and my teachers loved her. They couldn't get enough of her! We also stopped by the Rec where I used to work, as well as City Hall so Pop-pop could show off his granddaughter! We had a wonderful time exploring and rediscovering my old stomping grounds.
On Saturday we went to 15th Avenue in North Wildwood for some beach action. Liz liked the water in the gully, because gullies are typically warmer than the ocean itself. The ocean water was pretty cold, but Liz didn't cry. She couldn't take her eyes off the sand! Aunt Alex bought Liz her first bathing suit (isn't it AWESOME) and we also bought a big umbrella to use when we're there.





Eventually, it was time for Lizzie to take a nap, but all in all, it was a good experience for her. A side note: I can honestly say that this is the first time any member of my family has actually owned an umbrella to take to the beach! Ah--that reminds me--that's another way to tell if you are dealing with a local or a shoobie. Locals typically bring two things to the beach: themselves and a towel. A shoobie brings his whole house: chairs, umbrellas, buckets, shovels, toys, coolers full of food and drinks, books, tents, etc. I guess we might start looking like tourists because we carry a lot more things with us now that Lizzie is a member of the family! :)

On Sunday we listened to a great talk from President Corbitt who spoke about being prepared both temporally and spiritually. Our lessons that day also coincided with that message. So we began our food storage! It's nice to have this big kitchen and its cupboard space PLUS a pantry so we are using it. I think the messages really hit home because we are our own family now. We simply can't expect to mooch off of our parents in a crisis. I feel good that we are getting on our way to becoming prepared!
In further news, my freshman sister plays on the varsity softball team at Wildwood Catholic and they won their first playoff game, 1-0, vs. Mater Dei! They will play their second game on Friday.

Lizzie is nearly six months old! Where does the time go, really? I look at pictures from the day of her birth and I can hardly believe it. She has her own personality and it is wonderful.
Some of her new favorite things to do include:
Laughing, laughing, laughing. Many things are funny to her. She loves laughing with Daddy and my siblings.
Falling forward and pushing herself out onto her tummy.
Eating her toes. All of a sudden she began doing this!

SUCKING HER THUMB. This too came suddenly. Every time I catch her doing it, I take it out and say "NO" three times. She just laughs at me!
Eating everything, actually. If it's within reach and she can pick it up, its first destination is her mouth!
This video explains another favorite pastime. Of course she loves to do this when it is very quiet (during a prayer or anytime in church) and it always makes us laugh! (Remember to pause the playlist so you can hear it.)

6 comments:

Brianna said...

I love the pictures, and my favorite is the video! :) It made my day! :D

Francesca said...

SOOOOO cute! I love the little bathing suit and hat!

Jul said...

Wow, she's flexible!! And so adorable!
You know, we also would call them shoobies in OC because they always wear socks with sandals and/or wear their sandals in the ocean for fear of stepping on a crab. :) And that is so true about them packing their entire house and bringing it to the beach! It would drive me crazy!

Bryan and Janelle said...

I agree its the BEACH not the SHORE!!!! my mom says it every once in a while and i get made at her..haha

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

I love going to the beach. They really say shore? Because we live so close to a kind of beach Brigg and I keep the essential in the back our car: a towel thats it. Miss you guys hope to see you soon.

andrewjess said...

I LOVE Lizzies bathing suit! It is so precious! I'm also glad for the beach/shore clarification. Andrew used to say "we're going to the Shore" and it drove me nuts!!! I guess I can't blame him since his is from the Philly area, but still! That video of Lizzie blowing bubbles is adorable! Afton just started doing that too- as well as sucking on her toes! She also cut her fist tooth a couple of days ago- its fun to see our girls at the same stage doing the same things! Yes, we need to get to Butler's orchard!