Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The best two years

...I'm fidgeting in my chair. I cannot sit still. We're at the hotel and my mom is doing my hair. At this point, I don't care what she does with it and I tell her so: "Mom, whatever you want to do is fine. As long as it looks decent, I'm happy." So away she goes with the curling iron.
The rest of the family is rushing back and forth from room to room, making sure that everyone is close to ready and that everyone knows how to get to where we are going. Pretty soon my mom announces that she is finished with my hair and I slip on my shoes. I had heard something about breakfast downstairs and I am STARVING so I run down to take a look. I grab an apple and some orange juice because that is all I have time for. Besides, I think that is all my stomach will hold right now.
And off we go to the Washington D.C. Temple...


This was what going on at exactly this moment in time two years ago. I, Mary Jett, was on my way to be married to Christopher Killion for time and all eternity. I'm not exactly the type that fantasizes about her wedding years before it happens, but I must say that I had always wanted to be married in the summer because summers are my life and they define me. That glorious June morning was vivid with sunshine, bright with family, and filled with friends.
About two hours later we emerged from the temple as husband and wife,

sealed with the blessings of heaven and delirious with excitement. After all, we had a long engagement by LDS standards--six months. That beautiful day went by so fast and I felt that I was floating on clouds.

We couldn't stop smiling and we didn't want to stop smiling either.

At our reception, many people who walked through our lives in some way showed their love and support of Chris and Mary Killion as we all laughed, sang, and danced our way into the night.

That little Cape May Branch building was alive with happiness and I'll never forget that day.

On Saturday (May 30, 2009) Chris and I went to the temple and we took shifts; Chris did a session and then I did a session so we could watch Liz. While Liz and I were strolling through the temple grounds as Chris was inside, four different couples were coming out of the temple. I stood off to the side and watched them with a smile, remembering all the emotions that ran through my veins on my day. I walked all around the temple and saw couples who were posing for pictures and I fondly recalled the hour we spent posing in pictures around the temple. Everything about that day makes me smile.

Two years is a long time. It's the length of a mission that my brother is currently serving. It's the length of half of my sister's high school experience. It's the length of an MBA that Chris may receive in the future. Two years' worth of time means different things to different people, but today, two years means eternity for me. It is the eternity I willingly and lovingly share with my husband and my daughter (and my future children).

To my Chris: I married you because I love you and I always will. It still amazes me that you have decided to support me and to care for me for the rest of your life. I thank you for that. We have done a lot in two years, including the expansion of the Killion family with the addition of Elizabeth! There isn't anyone else who I would rather call "Husband": you hold that title for me and I am so glad you do. I am proud and honored to be your wife, "Mrs. Killion."

I LOVE YOU FOREVER! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

8 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Happy Anniversary! Well written Mary-

Francesca said...

Awww, you almost made me cry and I'm not even your husband! jk I'm glad to see your love for each other has grown fantastically.

Megan said...

Happy 2 years! Very beautifully written :)

Brianna said...

Happy anniversary guys! We're so glad to see you so happy!

PiZzA said...

2 years! wow. Happy Anniversary you guys. I love you both very much. <3

Brandon and Laura said...

Mary I'm so happy you're so happy--good writing sister!

Unknown said...

Me likey. I can't wait til I'm in your situation!

Unknown said...

Ahh! Too cute! You look soooo happy! (^_^)