Sunday, October 12, 2008

Skip the fall; let's go straight into WINTER

Chris and I woke up yesterday morning to see snow falling gently onto the streets of Provo. I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised, since I'm a senior and I've experienced this before...but the first bit of snow gets me every time. There was no transition this year! Summer ended; the temperature dropped a little, and then all of a sudden, SNOW. Where did fall go?
I'll drop a shout-out to East Coast falls. Wow. Where to begin? Bottom line, they are spectacular. Thousands of trees means tens of thousands of leaves, all of which turn delightful shades of reds, oranges, yellows, greens, and muted browns. The air is crisp, crisp, crisp--a benefit of being next to an ocean. Sunny skies with strong winds means you find yourself wearing jeans and a hoodie with your Rainbows, a cup of Wawa hot chocolate in hand, watching some high school soccer. Or perhaps you're visiting a pumpkin patch, with a mug of hot apple cider in your hand and a handful of ginger snaps in the other. I appreciate (and miss) falls a lot more now that I haven't been around a Jersey fall for a solid four years while I have been here at school. Love the Fall, my friends!
This week, as usual, was both busy and fun. We had a Cherry Hill NJ Stake Reunion at the Wilk on Monday night--always a pleasure to see President and Sister Corbitt, to be with the Jersey crowd, and to LAUGH. Naturally, we bring the husbands/wives, fiancees, and girlfriends/boyfriends to become more indoctrinated into the Jersey ways :DFriday night was awesome: BYUSA sponsored a married student catered dinner in the Wilk Ballroom, complete with Mindy Gledhill playing the piano during our meal and Comedy Sportz providing the entertainment afterward. The best part--it was free!
The Stapley's

The Holden's
The Lee's
The Killion'sThey really had us laughing! Then we went to the Holden's to watch Iron Man--if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Here we are, the group!

Saturday was jammed packed. We stopped by the Holden's again, this time for the men to watch Texas vs. Oklahoma and other important football games happening around the country. BYU played New Mexico yesterday afternoon and the Lee's came to our place to watch with us. We won, 21-3 and we are #9 in the AP poll: Go Cougars! Kung Fu Panda was playing at the Varsity Theater on campus so we went with the Stapley's (another movie I recommend you should see if you haven't). And finally, Ashley and Chris came over and we watched The Skeleton Key--creepy! but good. We were so happy to have these two over because we have so much fun together! All in all, we had a wonderful yesterday. :)
Today brought a calling for Chris--say hello to the newest Scout Master of the Pleasant View 2nd Ward! Chris's extensive background in scouting will really be beneficial here. He is very excited to take the boys out on some camping trips! Well, that's all from our end--have a great week!

6 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Im with you I miss Fall so much!!!! Its my favorite season but in never lasts here at all!

Alysa Stewart said...

Cute blog, Mary! Thanks for the movie recommendations!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Mary, You look SO cute in the bottom picture!!!!

Anonymous said...

!!!! There was a reunion!?

Well, bugger. I guess I'll just have to keep a stronger look-out.

Lovely photos though :)

Suzy J said...

Oh but don't you miss the Texas "fall"! That's right we don't get one at all! No drop in temps, no pretty leaves, nothing! Just 85-90 degrees and I am still fat! I am glad I don't have to scrape snow, but give a pregnant lady a brake and drop at least to the 70's! Miss you guys!

Sean and Charity said...

Life sounds awesome! And may I say that you are not only beautiful normally but you seriously are a gorgeous glowing prego lady!! Love ya so glad you are doing well!!