Thursday, July 1, 2010

Welcome to the world! AKA my mother got her wish

Long ago before I met Chris, my mother told me that her biggest wish had been to have a "white" child--a blonde haired, blue or green-eyed son or daughter of her own. It was possible, seeing as my dad is blonde and green-eyed, but we all know that Ecuadorian genes are pretty dominant.
So what do we Jett children look like?
We all have my mom's coloring: dark brown hair and dark brown eyes, with olive skin that tans very well in the summer time. My mom told me, "Well I tried five times with your father and you all look like me, so...my wish is that you marry a white boy so I can have white grandchildren."
You all know Juanita...she wasn't kidding.
You can imagine her happiness when Chris and I began dating--you can imagine her excitement when we became more serious...and you can imagine her elation at the announcement of our engagement.
YES! I WILL have white grandchildren! she proclaimed.
I reminded her that I have her genes, which will probably beat out Chris's genes in terms of looks. It did with Elizabeth, after all. She has my skin tone, my dark hair, and my dark eyes.

But it didn't with our Catherine. My mother finally got her wish.
Catherine Michelle Killion, born 6/30/10 @ 12:12pm, 8 lbs 4 oz, 20 in.


Our biggest surprise was the color of her hair--a medium blonde with tons of reddish highlighting. Chris has some redheads on his side of the family; don't worry, I was wondering where it came from too! She is much more fair skinned than her older sister. Although her eyes are still dark blue, they are much brighter and lighter than Lizzie's were (if that makes sense). Every time I hold her, I marvel at that head of hair--I didn't think I could produce that hair color on my babies!

Prepping for c-section

Dr. Killion in his blue scrubs!

Hello Catie Baby!

Getting weighed

Getting situated...

First family photo, minus Elizabeth

My first time holding my Cate

Relaxing

Cutie!

Mimi, Lizzie, Aunt Julia watching Cate with Chris in the nursery

Mimi holding Cate for the first time

Aunt Julia holding Cate

Big sister Lizzie holding Cate

Mom with Cate

Dad with Cate


Some of you asked if I had the VBAC; the first picture caption should tell you that I did in fact get another c-section, which I'm very happy about. I am overjoyed that Cate is here and that she is healthy. My recovery is going very smoothly--I walked for the first time after surgery around 5:30am this morning; I'm off my IV and catheter; I'm getting a solid food breakfast here in a bit--it's all good. Honestly I feel blessed to have had another c-section because my daughters are here safe and sound. It was really quite nice to know when Cate would arrive, to hear her loud cry when she entered the world, to see that she is getting extra-special care. Maybe there is a VBAC in my far future with my third child, who knows? But I'll tell you right now, I'm perfectly pleased with my first two c-sections and I would not hesitate to do it again--I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with my daughters' arrivals into this world for anything!
If you're around the area, please feel free to stop by, we would love visitors :)
Stay tuned for more updates and pictures here because facebook is just not cooperating with picture uploading!

16 comments:

The Andersens said...

YAY!! Congratulations!! Such a beautiful mommy of TWO!!

-- Courtney

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

Congratulations, she's beautiful!!!!

Lois said...

She definitely has Chris' coloring! You can pass on the rest of your olive skin, dark hair genes to us. ;) She is such a beautiful baby! Oh and I love the picture of Liz looking into the nursery - she looks like she's finally starting to realize it's the end of her world.. :) We'd love to stop by sometime this afternoon or evening - just let us know when you are awake and rested and where to go. (Kids can come up now to the room now that the flu season is over right? If not I'll wait till Jeff gets home.)

The Chaffin's said...

Congratulations. She looks a lot like Chris!!! HOpe I get to meet her one day.

Brianna said...

Mary, she is beautiful! I love all the pictures, you all look so happy. Liz kind of has the expression like, wait, we're taking her home? What? :) I'm sure she will be the best big sister! I wish we were closer so we could come visit and see you guys. Congratulations again!

Brit and Steve said...

Congrats Killions! I can't get over her red hair either!!! That is so amazing. We miss you guys and wish you the best with your recovery and bringing Cate home!

Tay said...

HAHAH! I love it! My kid wasn't white when he was born, and we're just a couple of whiteys over here. :) And your mom cracks me up. She reminds me of my grandma with her demands, except that she demands a redhead with brown eyes from me. Yeah...

No, but seriously I laughed out loud when I saw Cate - it was just too perfectly in line with your mom's request.

She's cute! I love her perfect little ears!

Megan said...

Congratulations!! She is so beautiful. I love her red hair and I'm glad that your mom got her wish :)

Kara said...

Mary! I am so happy for your little family. Cate is beautiful! Congrats! And you are sooooo gorgeous!

Meg said...

Wow! I can't believe you've already posted! Go get some sleep woman! ha ha. I'm glad thought b/c I was dying to see pictures :) She definintley looks like her daddy. I also think she looks a ton like Liz, just with different coloring of course. I actually wondered yesterday if this baby was going to be a 'Chris' baby, ha ha. We can't wait to come see you. Miss McKelle developed another fever today (arggghhhh) so we'll have to wait and see how this pans out, but we'll be by as soon as we can!

Emily said...

Congratulations! What a cutie! Your attitude about the C-Sections is great! Of course the safety of the baby and mom is so important! COngratulations again

Rachelle said...

Congratulations! Cate is beautiful!

Bond Fam said...

Ahhh she is beautiful! I love her hair! So pretty! Congrats!

Francesca said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful birthing experience! Cate is so cute and pink and chubby. I wish I could visit!

Ashley Jensen said...

Beautiful! You , Cate, the whole family! And I seriously can't believe that Lizzie is a big sister! Didn't really think about it until I just saw that darling picture. Can't wait to see you guys, love you!!

Adri and Russ Lee said...

We are SO excited! I can't believe that! They won't even look like sisters! I'm also glad that all went well and that you're all healthy! :)