Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Rant on Complaints of Pregnancy Weight Gain

Okay. This has been on my mind the past two days, in between my mind concentrating on class/homework.
I'm pregnant, right? Yes. Have I gained weight? Uh YEAH--I'm supposed to. Do I know how much I have gained so far? HECK no! Why? Well, I've gained five pounds and I am absolutely devastated about it! ...Why?
What bothers me is when I hear other pregnant women (usually early in their first trimester) crying to their little friends, complaining about their "weight gain." Usually these women are sticks to begin with. They've been a size 0 their entire lives and they just can't handle "getting fat"!! It's not fat; it's PREGNANCY!
I will readily admit that I was somewhat dismayed when I noticed that my shorts were getting tighter and my shirts weren't fitting right. Chris and I talked about it (one day when I stupidly decided to be depressed about it) and you know what, there's a SECOND person inside of me. She needs to eat and to grow, and the only way that happens for her is when my body eats and grows for her. I'm going to gain weight! I'm going to get bigger! That's life! And I should enjoy it.
And I have enjoyed it. I don't go out and eat ten boxes of doughnuts every morning, followed by five racks of BBQ ribs for lunch and 2 large pizzas for dinner--but I eat when Liz is hungry and I stop when she's full. I have gained weight and will continue to gain weight as my daughter grows. So will you, if you are pregnant. Big whoop--get on with your life, aka STOP BEING SELFISH, and get to love that little person inside of you.
I had to laugh out loud when I came across a friend telling another pregnant friend, "Oh I hear you eat more when you have a boy and less if you have a girl. Let's hope it's a girl!" What a bunch of BOLOGNA. You're going to eat more no matter what you have. YOU ARE GOING TO EAT MORE NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE. Accept that and move on.
I already know my body won't be the same after Liz enters the world. I wasn't a size 0 before pregnancy anyway, so who cares? I don't necessarily think about that all the time, but is that going to be the focus of my life once she is born--to get the extra weight off as soon as humanly possible, to look good for everyone who sees me? NO! My daughter is going to be the focus of my life, first and foremost! Now I keep and will continue to keep myself healthy for her, but healthy and skinny are not synonyms. And they never will be.
So if you're a pregnant friend of mine, don't COMPLAIN to me about your weight gain. Laugh about it and love it for the present time. It's for your child, not for you.

4 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

SO TRUE!!! My baby is almost 4 MONTHS OLD and I still have 20lbs to lose, but I'm in no rush. It will happen when it happens, my first priority is taking care of Ethan!

Meg said...

I really liked your rant. I have had a hard time with all the extra pounds on my body--I think it's the mindset of everyone around me: you have to be small to be beautiful. But I am so glad to hear you second Ryan's frequent reminders--you are supposed to gain weight! There is another human inside! Go moms.

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! said...

Amen, even though i'm not yet pregnant, it is just common sense that you gain weight and hello its for the baby. Anyway, I imagine it is well worth the cause of bring a lovely baby into the world.

Bond Fam said...

As a mom sometimes its hard to have self confidence in myself, because I feel like my body is NEVER ever going to be the same and sometimes thats hard to deal with, but your right its all for the best and we shouldnt be so dang hard on ourselves. As for gaining weight during pregnancy, I dont remember being concerned about it, but I do wish that I had tried to eat more healthy, I feel lke I just ate crap my whole pregnancy, so a lot of the weight I gained wasnt from the baby, sigh. So next time Im going to keep taking my walks and eat more healthy, not so I wont gain weight, but so I will be able to feel more healthy for my baby!