Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In my old age...

We hope you had a Happy Memorial Day and a wonderful weekend! :)

Now I get into my story.
I'm half-Ecuadorian--50% Lamanite, as my mother likes to say. When I was younger, I never sunburned. Ever. I liked to think that my Lamanite skin protected me. I am the "lighest" of my siblings, but no sunburn held me back!
The first time I ever sunburned was during sophomore Spring Break, a vacation to Florida with my friend Brie and her family. My nose got a little red and weirdest of all, it PEELED. I thought, well, we are 1,000 miles or so closer to the Equator. Made sense to me at the time.
I've noticed, now that I am older (at the ripe age of 22, mind you), my Lamanite skin isn't protecting me as well as it used to. We spent the majority of yesterday at 15th Ave beach, and my shoulders, chest, and nose bear record of our beach visit. I won't take a picture of it for you because it's that bad. And I even put sunscreen on beforehand!! *Sigh*
Chris chuckled at me last night (he too got red, more red than I got) and I let him chuckle because, after all these years of MY teasing my white friends' sunburned skin, it has come back to haunt me! I'll watch my comments from now on... ;)

Enough of my rant! Here are some pictures from our fun weekend in NJ!
MMS Spring Concert--band (Joe plays the trombone)

Julia and her class singing

Chris and me

One of Joe's shop projects--picture frame

Trip to the zoo!

Chris and Lizzie

Hi snake!

Lizzie and her new friend the giraffe

Dad took me to the park! Climbing around

This girl LOVES slides. Loves them

Going for a walk on the beach after a Pompeo's breakfast




Beach later that afternoon--a bit breezy and overcast but still FUN!



Back to the beach on Monday, with sunshine!



Hugs for Winnie the Pooh on the ride home!

4 comments:

Meg said...

We're so sad we couldn't come! It was a good thing though because I took McKelle to the doctor on Friday and we found out that she had hand, foot, and mouth virus. I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but they just get little sores on thier throat and sometimes on the hands and feet, but she just had a sore throat. It is VERY contagious though, so it's a good thing she wasn't around Lizzie. Also, about the burning- I think it happens to everyone. I used to not burn as much when I was younger either- and I could get really tan in the summer... but no longer :( I burn, and it takes forever for me to get a good solid tan- tears!

emily and kevin griffin said...

sounds like a lot of fun! i'm sorry you got burned..but it is a little funny. i always get burned...:)

Ashley Jensen said...

First of all, I love the picture of the three of you on the beach. Second of all, Pompeo's is the one where you worked and Kate and I came for breakfast right? Ahh, what a fun time. And third, remember how sunburnt I got when I was there? hahahahahaha

Brianna said...

I can totally hear you saying that whole rant, Mare. And I can picture Chris chuckling at you too. Man we miss you guys! Love the pictures - it makes me want to go to the beach! I wonder how D would react....of course, if we went, Steve and I would probably burn too. :)