Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Imitation," TCU/Utah, and more

I grew up five blocks away from the Atlantic Ocean. I have seen my share of imitation products, namely imitation crabmeat, lobster, even shrimp; I also have seen imitation cod or flounder. I consider fish sticks to be imitation, although they are made from whiting or pollock, which are real fish--I just don't like fish sticks.

But imitation cheese?

Because we were tired and because it is more on the way home than Neighborhood Walmart, Kroger's became our destination after the Blue and Gold Banquet. Chris had to pick up a few things for his department lunch; we already had Ranch-style beans at the house (if you have not yet experienced the joy of Ranch-style beans, go find some), but we needed shredded cheese and sour cream. We scoured the isles in search of our wants, found the dairy isle, and proceeded to cheese. Chris found some, a white package, 8 oz. Wait, he said, I'll probably need more. He reached to grab another white package, but I pointed out that right above was a black package of shredded, 16 oz. But, it turned out that two white packages were nearly fifty cents cheaper than the one big package (oh the joys of price negotiating). Okay, we started to go for the two white packages, but then Chris noticed why they were cheaper: "Shredded Imitation Cheese Product," something to that effect.

We both cracked up. Imitation cheese? What exactly is used? Fake milk? A different cheese than the one advertised? After some searching, I found that it is made from vegetable oil. It's obviously less expensive, but it also has much less flavor and it doesn't melt very well. We'll continue to stick to real cheese...

Chris scored some tickets to the TCU/Utah basketball game tonight in Fort Worth. We'll both look forward to a break from the studying we will be buried under this afternoon. I am very tempted to have every article of my clothing reflect the letters BYU, but I'll wait...for the BYU/TCU game we will attend in a few weeks!

Chris is taking tomorrow and Friday off to study before his big GMAT on Saturday morning. Thank goodness it is here in FW, rather than in Waco or somewhere else that would require lots of driving. Well, I am off to study--I have my three Independent Study exams tomorrow, at TCC. I am so ready to get these behind me and dive into my Spanish 441 course...

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Gross. I have done that as well. Don't try to use it in anything where it would need to be melted. It turns to clumps and oil. Truly disgusting. When that happened to us, we scrapped my nachos and ordered pizza. ;)

Aaron said...

PS Tell Senor Jett I said hey.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

good luck on the GMAt...and the IS exams!